★ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 285

Carlogie

Carlogie is a hamlet in Angus, Scotland. It lies approximately half a mile north of Carnoustie on the A930 road. Carlogie House was erected in 1854 as the residence of the factor of Panmure Estate. It was converted into a hotel in the 1960s by Ja ...

Carmyllie

Carmyllie is a rural parish in Angus, Scotland. It is situated on high ground between Arbroath, on the coast, and the inland county town of Forfar. The main settlements in the parish are Redford, Greystone, Guynd and Milton of Carmyllie. There is ...

Castleton, Angus

Castleton, officially Castleton Of Eassie, is a village in Angus, Scotland. This settlement is situated along the A94 road between Glamis and Meigle. One mile to the south is the village of Eassie noted for the presence of the Eassie Stone, this ...

Charleston, Angus

Charleston is a village in Angus, Scotland near Glamis. The village of Charleston originated in the 1830-ies. In 1833, the owner of the land Rochelhill granted a long Tack of the lands of Alexander Bruce, handloom in Glamis, and the land was subs ...

Clayholes

Clayholes is a small hamlet in Angus, Scotland. It lies approximately 0.5 kilometres north of Carnoustie on the unclassified Balmachie road, that connects the A930 road in Carnoustie with the A92 road at Balmachie. The settlement is not present o ...

Clova, Angus

Clova is a village in Glen Clova, Angus, Scotland. It lies on the River South Esk, some 12 miles north of Kirriemuir. During the Jacobite rising of 1745, Lord David Ogilvy 1725-1803 raised a regiment from local residents, he retreated in perfect ...

Colliston

Colliston is a roadside hamlet in Angus, Scotland that is four miles north of Arbroath on the A933 Arbroath to Brechin road, in the parish of St Vigeans. For the village in Aberdeenshire, see Collieston.

Cortachy

Cortachy is a village in Angus, Scotland. It lies in at the mouth of Glen Clova, on the River South Esk, four miles north of Kirriemuir. Nearby lies Cortachy Castle, seat of the Earls of Airlie.

Craichie

Craichie is a hamlet in the parish of Dunnichen, Angus, Scotland. Craichie is three miles south-east of Forfar and two miles south-west of Letham, at a junction on the B9128 Carnoustie to Forfar road.

Craigo

Craigo is a village in Angus, Scotland. It lies about 5 miles northwest of Montrose, and 1 mile south of Marykirk, which is across the River North Esk in Aberdeenshire. Craigo developed in the 19th century as a textile village.

Craigton, Angus

Craigton is a village in Angus, Scotland. It lies to the north of the Downie Hills, approximately three miles north of Carnoustie. Immediately to the west of the village lie the reservoirs of Monikie Country Park, and to the south is the Panmure ...

Douglastown

Douglastown is a hamlet in Kinnettles in Angus, Scotland, three miles south-west of Forfar. It takes its name from the landowner who in about 1789 provided land for James Ivory & Co. to build a flax mill to spin yarn for heavy linen cloth called ...

Dun, Angus

Dun is a rural parish in Angus, Scotland. It contains the House of Dun, home of the Erskine family and is a stop on the Caledonian Railway. It is located on the river South Esk, west of Montrose and east of Brechin. In 1785-7 a bridge was built t ...

Dunnichen

Dunnichen is a small village in Angus, Scotland, situated between Letham and Forfar. It is close to Dunnichen Hill, at which the Battle of Dun Nechtain is popularly believed to have been fought. The church is part of the parish of Letham, Dunnich ...

Eassie

Eassie is a village located along the A94 road in Angus, Scotland. The church in Eassie is dedicated to Saint Fergus, a monk who worked at nearby Glamis. Eassie is noted for the presence of the Eassie Stone, a carved Pictish stone. Other notable ...

Elliot, Angus

Elliot is a coastal hamlet in the county of Angus, Scotland, on the western-most edge of Arbroath on the A92 road. The Elliot Water reaches the North Sea at Elliot. In 1906 the station junction Elliot was demolished, now the site of a major train ...

Ferryden

Ferryden is a village in Angus, Scotland in the community council area of Ferryden & Craig. It lies southerly adjacent to the town of Montrose on the south bank of the South Esk and is considered a fringe locality of Montrose, being connected to ...

Folda, Angus

Folda is a hamlet in Glen Isla, Angus, Scotland. It is situated on the River Isla, twelve miles north-west of Kirriemuir and eleven miles north of Blairgowrie, on the B951 road.

Friockheim

The name Friockheim, literally translated, means Heather Home, with Friock being a derivative from the Gaelic fraoch heather and heim from the German for home. The word Friockheim as a whole, is pronounced Free-come. The birth of the village took ...

Gardynebourg

Gardynebourg was a hamlet that once existed in Angus, Scotland, between Barry and Carnoustie. Urban growth in the latter part of the nineteenth century and early twentieth century gradually led to Gardynebourg becoming subsumed into the town of C ...

Glamis

Glamis is a small village in Angus, Scotland, located four miles south of Kirriemuir and five miles southwest of Forfar. It is the location of Glamis Castle, the childhood home of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

Guthrie, Angus

Guthrie is a village in Angus, Scotland, roughly at the centre point of the towns of Arbroath, Brechin and Forfar. The principal building in the village is Guthrie Castle, which has its own public golf course and is a popular venue for events suc ...

Hillside, Angus

Hillside is a village in Angus, Scotland, situated 1 mile to the north of Montrose. The village is the location for the now disused psychiatric hospital, Sunnyside Royal Hospital. The hospital which was founded by Susan Carnegie in 1781 as the Mo ...

Hunters Town, Angus

Hunters Town was a hamlet that once existed in Angus, Scotland, between Barry and Carnoustie. Urban growth in the latter part of the nineteenth century and early twentieth century gradually led to Hunters Town becoming subsumed into the town of C ...

Inverarity

Inverarity is a village in Angus, Scotland, UK, on the A90, 6 miles from Forfar, and 7 miles from Dundee. The nearest villages are Gateside, Invereighty, Kincaldrum and Gallowfauld. Inverarity used to be in the old county of Forfarshire. Its name ...

Inverkeilor

Inverkeilor is a village and parish in Angus, Scotland. It lies near the North Sea coast, midway between Arbroath and Montrose. The A92 road now bypasses the village. The population of Inverkeilor parish in the United Kingdom census 2001 was 972, ...

Inverpeffer

Inverpeffer was a hamlet that once existed in Angus, Scotland until around 1941, when it was demolished during the building of East Haven airfield. It was on the way back from Inverpeffer Barry in 1797 that loomwright Thomas Lawson, fell asleep i ...

Kellas, Angus

Kellas is a village in Angus, Scotland. It lies approximately two miles north of Dundee, on the B978 road. A young boy called Archie Gilmour roams round the few streets keeping Kellas safe 24/7. He has fought off many intruders trying to make a r ...

Kincaldrum

Kincaldrum is a hamlet in the county of Angus, Scotland. It lies 1 km northwest of Gateside. Kincaldrum House lies in ruins. A corn mill once stood near the hamlet.

Kirkbuddo

Kirkbuddo is a village in the county of Angus, Scotland, between the towns of Forfar and Carnoustie. Nearby lie the remains of a temporary Roman marching camp dating to the third century AD. A worn type II Pictish stone was found in the kirkyard ...

Kirkinch

Kirkinch, meaning kirk on the island in Scots and Gaelic, is a small village in Angus, Scotland. The island is the knoll on which remains of the medieval church of the parish of Nevay, now united with Eassie, stand. Originally it was an island of ...

Kirkton of Glenisla

Kirkton of Glenisla is a village in Glen Isla, Angus, Scotland. It is situated on the River Isla, eleven miles north-west of Kirriemuir and ten miles north of Blairgowrie, on the B951 road. The village consists of a church and graveyard, a hotel, ...

Letham, Angus

Letham is a village in Angus, Scotland. Letham is the largest village in Angus with a population of about 2.000. Located 17 miles 27 km from Dundee, 5 miles 8.0 km from Forfar, 10 miles 16 miles from Arbroath and 10 miles 16 km from Carnoustie. T ...

Liff, Angus

Liff is a village in Angus, Scotland, situated 4.5 miles west-north-west of Dundee on a south-facing slope two miles north of the River Tay. It had a population of 568 in 2011. Surrounded by farmland, it has been described as haunted by wood pige ...

Little Forter

Little Forter is a hamlet in Glen Isla, Angus, Scotland. It is on the River Isla, thirteen miles north-west of Kirriemuir and eleven miles north of Blairgowrie, on the B951 road.

Lunan, Angus

Lunan is a hamlet in Angus, Scotland, in the parish of the same name, 6 kilometres south of Montrose. The hamlet overlooks Lunan Bay, which is itself also a hamlet, at the mouth of the Lunan Water. A 16th-century priest of Lunan church, which is ...

Lundie

Lundie is a parish and small settlement in Angus, Scotland, 10 miles northwest of Dundee, situated at the head of the Dighty valley in the Sidlaws, off the A923 Dundee to Coupar Angus road. The name Lundie probably derives from the Gaelic "lunnd" ...

Memus

Memus is a small village in Angus, Scotland, north of Kirriemuir. It is home to the Drovers Pub. A story is told of a kelpie at Shielhill Bridge, leaving its cloven hoofprint behind on a stone as a petrosomatoglyph.

Menmuir

Menmuir is a parish in the county of Angus in Scotland. Fully equipped fitness Menmuir consists of only three houses and for this reason it is referred to locally as "TWA hooses and another Yin" but around 250 people live in the area and a common ...

Milden, Angus

Milden is a hamlet, estate and farmstead in Glenesk, Angus, Scotland. It is situated in the upper course of the Glen Esk valley, where the Burn of Turret meets the River North Esk, around 7 1 ⁄ 2 miles north of Edzell,

Milton of Finavon

Milton of Finavon is a hamlet in Angus, Scotland that lies adjacent to the A90 road on its southern side by the River South Esk. It is approximately 5 miles north-east of Forfar. A quarter of a mile to the South lies Finavon castle.

Milton of Ogilvie

Milton is a hamlet in Angus, Scotland situated near Glamis. Considerable early history is in the general area including Glamis Castle and the Eassie Stone, a carved Pictish stone dating prior to the Early Middle Ages.

Monikie

The village grew from small beginnings as just one of many hamlets. The other large village in the parish is Newbigging. Because of the siting of the Railway Station, provided mainly to service the farming community and latterly, the Farina Mill ...

Muirdrum

Muirdrum is a small village in the council area of Angus, Scotland. It is situated at the junction of the old A92 road from Dundee to Arbroath, the A930 to Carnoustie and B9128 to Forfar. Its closest town is Carnoustie, which lies approximately 2 ...

Murroes

In the reign of Charles II the minister was Robert Edward, author of an account of Forfarshire. His son was the non-juror Alexander Edward, who later became a notable architect and landscape architect.

Newbigging, Angus

Newbigging is a village in Angus, Scotland, two miles north-east of Dundee. The name "Newbigging" originally referred to a "new bigging" or "new cottar town". The village is roughly two miles north of Monifieth and east of Dundee, Scotlands fourt ...

Newtyle

Newtyle is a village in the west of Angus, Scotland. It lies 11 miles to the north of Dundee in the south west of Strathmore, between Hatton Hill and Newtyle in the Sidlaws. The village sits on gently sloping ground with a northwest aspect. The m ...

Panbride

Panbride is a village and civil parish in the council area of Angus, Scotland. It is situated 0.5 miles north-east of Carnoustie and 6 miles west of Arbroath.

Redford, Angus

Redford is a hamlet in the parish of Carmyllie in Angus, Scotland. It is situated on high ground between Arbroath, on the coast, and the inland county town of Forfar. Carmyllie school is located in the settlement, was the old Carmyllie railway st ...

Salmonds Muir

Salmonds Muir is a hamlet in the council area of Angus, Scotland. It is situated 2 miles north-east of Carnoustie and 4 miles west of Arbroath on the A92 road. The junction of the A92 at Salmonds Muir forms the main route to the villages of Panbr ...

Encyclopedic dictionary

Translation
Free and no ads
no need to download or install

Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!

online intellectual game →